Learn to Swim at the YMCA!
FUN! WITH A SPLASH OF CONFIDENCE!
WHY SWIM LESSONS?
- The Y has been teaching swimming for over 100 years, providing individuals the opportunity to safely enjoy the water.
- Each year, over 200 people learn to swim at the Hopkins County Family YMCA!
- Swimming develops all muscle groups evenly.
- Drowning is the leading cause of death in children ages 1 to 5 years.
- Skills dwindle if swimmers practice only in the summer! Kids need year-round swim lessons to progress.
Numerous Swimming Lessons are offered at the Hopkins County Family YMCA:
PARENT/CHILD LESSIONS: Ages 6 months to 3 years with Class Ratio 1:10; A positive first experience in the water that encourages a bond of trust between adult and child. This group also teaches adults how to supervise and guide a child in the water.
PRESCHOOL LESSONS: Ages 3 to 5 years with Class Ratio 1:6:
- Pike: Beginner level; little or no swimming experience
- Eel: Must be willing to participate, comfortable in water and able to swim 5 feet on front, back and side.
- Ray: Must be able to jump into deep water and swim 15 feet on front, side and back.
YOUTH LESSONS: Ages 6 to 12 years with Class Ratio 1:6
- Polliwog: Beginner level; little swimming experience. Group will learn to swim in deep water.
- Guppy: Must be able to swim in deep water. Must be able to swim 20 feet on front, back and side. This group begins working on stroke development.
- Minnow: Must be able to swim 25 yards on front, back and side. Upon completing Minnow, students can join the Swim Team.
- Fish: Must be able to swim 25 yards of freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke. Begin working on butterfly.
- Flying Fish: Must be able to swim 50 yards of strokes in Fish plus 25 yards of butterfly.
Download a current swim lesson registration form HERE.