JOIN OUR AFTERSCHOOL TEAM!
Make a Difference, Come Work for the Y!
Afterschool Staff Job Description
Under the direction of the Director of Youth Development, the After School Leader will provide direct supervision for a class of children at the YMCA Kid Center or YMCA Off Site at one of our elementary schools. This position requires availability after school 2:00 to 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Build relationships by using names and initiating conversations with children, parents and staff.
- Maintains positive relations with children, parents and staff while maintaining confidentiality of information related to parents and children.
- Communicate with supervisor, staff and parents in a clear, concise and positive manner while using Listen First skills.
- Act as a positive role model for children while implementing YMCA character development and following the core values of Caring, Honesty, Responsibility, Respect and Faith.
- Assures compliance with State and local guidelines.
- Acquaints children with rules, activities, schedule and area.
- Takes responsibility for leadership, guidance and safety/welfare of each child in attendance. Supervises children, areas, and all activities.
- Makes ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
- Helps maintain the program site and equipment.
- Attends all staff meetings/trainings/
- Complies with our Child Protection Policy to create a safe and nurturing environment.
- Helps in keeping supplies organizes, maintains area and cares for equipment. Takes responsibility for cleaning site.
- Helps maintain proper records and department files.
- Report any problems, issues or departmental concerns to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Provide a strong, professional image in regards to dress, attitude, punctuality, communications and demeanor.
- High School Diploma
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications within 90 days of hire and Child Abuse Prevention training along with other YMCA trainings assigned within 14 days of hire.
- Must be committed to and supportive of the Y mission with an emphasis on support and empathy to health seekers.
- Must have the ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from various social and economic segments of the community.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand for extended periods and to lift equivalent of 40 lbs.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be noisy at times.
- Frequently exposed to outside weather conditions and heat.
- Regularly required to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with children and adults.
- Maintain composure in stressful situations.
Apply at the YMCA Kid Center as soon as possible to be considered for a position. Download an employment application to bring with you.