Swim Lesson Upgrade New for 2019
The fun fish names we previously used to identify the different levels have been replaced with names that more closely relate to the skills we will be working on in each stage.
Swim lessons are now organized into three phases, and each phase includes several stages focused on a specific skill set:
For swimmers ages 6 months-3 years, must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver.
- Stage A - Water Discovery: Introduces infants and toddlers to the aquatic environment. Learn more and register for lessons.
- Stage B - Water Exploration: Focuses on exploring body positions, blowing bubbles, and fundamental safety and aquatic skills. Learn more and register for lessons.
Recommended skills for all to have around the water. All phases are offered for ages 3-12.
- Stage 1 - Water Acclimation: students are introduced to the pool, develop safe water habits, become comfortable with underwater exploration and learn to safely exit a body of water. Learn more and register for lessons.
- Stage 2 - Water Movement: students focus on body position and control, forward movement, directional change and basic self-rescue skills. Learn more and register for lessons.
- Stage 3 - Water Stamina: students learn basic stroke techniques, rotary breathing and integrated arm and leg action. Learn more and register for lessons.
Skills to support a healthy lifestyle. Stage 4 is offered for ages 3-12, Stages 5-6 are for ages 5-12.
- Stage 4 - Stroke Introduction: Students build endurance, practice safety techniques, develop the basic frontcrawl and backcrawl strokes and are introduced to components of the breaststroke and butterfly strokes. Learn more and register for lessons.
- Stage 5 - Swimmers develop stamina in the basic frontcrawl and backcrawl strokes, learn the breast and butterfly strokes. Deep water safety and endurance are also reinforced. Learn more and register for lessons.
- Stage 6 - Stroke Mechanics/Swim Club: Swimmers develop endurance in the competitive strokes, learn skills related to competitive swimming, enhance techniques and build endurance in deep water. Learn more and register for lessons.
Swim lessons featuring this updated curriculum begin in January 2019. Classes are now open for registration.
For more information or to register for swim lessons, visit the YMCA Welcome Center.